ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

The Not-So Great Tale of Johan Thoms

The Great & Calamitous Tale of Johan Thoms: How One Man Scorched the Twentieth Century But Didn't Mean To - Ian  Thornton

It's very difficult for me to rate this book. I really liked Joan Thoms, the main character, with his cleverness but also with all his quirks. He's an extraordinary person and I really felt for him.
On the other hand the book didn't get me hooked at one point. It was written in a very witty style and I really liked the allusions to all kinds of books. But the coincidences often seemed too constructed, the allusions were too numerous and the minor characters all a bit too unlikely: it's okay to have one or two quirky characters in a novel but not a whole bunch of them.
It seems like this is another novel published in the current fashion of books with a small person who changes history like The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. A loved the Hundred-Year-Old but it seems that I'm fed up with this genre. I would have liked to rate this book higher but my lack of pleasure reading it doesn't allow for more stars.

(I received a free digital copy via NetGalley)