ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

New Moon - Stephenie Meyer

After liking Twilight more than I had expected and also everybody (especially my (then) 14-year-old cousin whom I consider to be a very intelligent young girl) told me that the book was better than the movie, I decided to give this one a chance.
I can tell you it was hardly bearable. I listened to New Moon on Audio. That probably was a fault. if I had read it I could have skipped through several pages. With the audio version, this wasn't so easy.
A few things are official now:
- The movie is better than the book - it only takes about 2 hours and that definitely is more than enough time. The Audio version has 12 CDs. On the first 5 of them nothing happens. Maybe on CD 8 you have the cliff-diving scene. On CD 10/11 we finally meet the Volturi. At the middle of CD 11 Bella is home again. But then it goes on for another 1.5 hours druing which - I guess you can imagine - nothing happens.
- I also wouldn't have enjoyed this book as a teenager.
- I enjoy stories where something is actually happening. Not every book I read is full of action. But if hardly anything is happening the rest of the story at least has to have some deeper meaning. New Moon entirely lacks both.
- I absolutely don't understand why this series was such a success. To me it seems that the vampire and werewolf parts were just added to make a teenie's diary a little more interesting. Apart from that there is nothing special about the story.