ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

A Tale of a Tub - Jonathan Swift

I think I mentioned before that satire and parody aren't my favourite genres. I try to be fair when rating these books and to take into consideration the effect the books had or must have had when they were published.
This book was VERY hard for me to read. It was my second book by Jonathan Swift. My first was A Modest Proposal which was quite funny at some points but the ca. 10 pages of it were already definitely enough for me. I thought that A Tale of a Tub would be another quick read I would read before starting the much longer Gulliver. Well, I was wrong. It took me much longer than expected to read this book. If my only criteria when rating a book was readability I would have rated it only one star. But that obviously wouldn't value this book.
Given that it was so difficult, I also read notes on the book, and it turns out that it is actually brilliant!
I still can't give A Tale of a Tub more than 3 stars however. For a book to get more than these I will also have to enjoy it now matter however brilliant its content may be