ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Findus Disappears! (The Adventures of Pettson and Findus) - Sven Nordqvist

I read the first Findus and Pettson books when I was 6 or 7 years old. I have always loved them and I can still laugh at the old stories when I come across them by chance when I visit my parents. When I so this new adventure at NetGalley I just couldn't resist reading it.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the characters, a little summary: Pettson is an old man who lives in a little red house somewhere in Sweden. He's a bit of a loner. With him are living his hens, some mumbles (little creatures he doesn't see) and of course his cat Findus. Findus is a lazy, fresh cat who usually annoys Pettson but who's also his best friend. Findus can talk but he only does it when Pettson and he are alone. Pettson's neighbors think of him as a bit of a nutcase because of that.
This new book, Findus Disappears!, is chronologically the first book in the series. It tells how Pettson was given Findus by his neighbor when Findus was still a kitten. Pettson instantly loves Findus and they develop a tight relationship. One day, Findus disappears: he ent exploring the house and garden while Pettson was still sleeping. Outside he meets a badgers and is so scared of him that is doesn't dare to go home again. With the help of the mumbles Pettson finally finds Findus again.
The story is lovely as usual and the drawings are just wonderful: Sven Nordqvist uses incredibly much details and you can see that he really loves what he is doing. However, there was one thing I missed in this book: I remember Findus as this fresh cat who is always up to some mischief. In this story the freshness is missing. At one point Findus even cries. I still loved the book but it is a bit different from the rest of the series.
I highly recommend the whole Findus series to readers of each age. However, I probably wouldn't start with this book even though it is chronogically the first. I'd start with one of the older books in the series, e.g. The Fox Hunt or Findus at Christmas. Still, four stars for this once again most charming story.

(I received a free digital copy via NetGalley)