ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Believing the Lie - Elizabeth  George I was a bit disappointed by this book. I've read all of Elizabeth George's book and have loved all of them - until Helen dies. From this point on the books just weren't the same anymore. The mysteries seem very constructed and the characters sometimes act in very strange ways.
"Believing the lie" starts very interesting with Lynley being sent to the Lake District to investigate incognito the accident of Ian Creswell, the nephew of Bernard Fairclough who's a rich business owner. He asks Deborah and Simon to join him.
But that was about the good part of the story. From here on things get weird pretty soon. The characters' motives often aren't comprehensible and it is hard to imagine a journalist as naive as Zed. The most illogical part is Tim's story. It is obvious that he hasn't had an easy life but his plans seem very farfetched.
The reason I gave 3 stars is Barbara. As so often she saves the story.
I would recommend this book only to readers who already know the previous books. To understand the main characters' behaviour you need to know a lot about their background and this book just doesn't give these details.