ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Magyk (Septimus Heap, Book 1) - Angie Sage It was very difficult for me to rate this book. If it were possible to give half stars I'd have rated it 2.5 stars. In the end I decided to rate it 2 stars because There are loads of books I rated 3 stars which I liked a lot better.
I had been really looking forward to reading this book. But once again I was deceived by clever marketing and a great book cover. It looks like a nice old book when it's in fact just an odd book!
There were good parts in it and sometimes there are very funny passages. But there were so many things that made me wonder if I hadn't understood something and read a passage again; but then I was still wondering. I didn't really understand most of the time how the "Magyk" worked (worst of all were the spells). And where did the bad guy suddenly come from? Also, all the characters seemed really weak. They just walked into the simplest kind of traps. And in their final fight the two wizards are just wrestling. What kind of fight is that for two wizards?
What really annoyed me about this book were the "Magyk" words. Why do they have to be written in bold? Everyone can see when there is magic used so there is really no need for that.