ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up - Julia Eccleshare, Quentin Blake I think this is a very good list of children's books. I really like it much better than the adults' version. It's much more international and lists books from much more categories.
There were however a few things that bother me a bit. First, I didn't like that the list loads of books that are very hard to get or only at prices the books are really not worth. So what's the sense of listing them if hardly anyone can read them? Second, I didn't like that the authors didn't take any interest in the availability of the books in other languages. I read books in German, English, French and Spanish and I also don't have a problem with reading picture books in Italian. But many people and especially children (who are the actual target group of this book) don't. I read the German translation of this book. I know that a translation is not supposed to change anything. But it would have been great to have a version with books that are all available in German as well. The last thing I sometimes found very strange was the age certain books were recommended for. E.g. in the 3+ section you can find picture books with hardly any text in them which would as well fit into the 0-3 category. At the same time you have books with a lot of text which are also quite thick (at least for a 5+ child). This might make it difficult for parents who are using this book to found suitable reading material for their children; they just can't rely on the book really being adequate.