ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Journey to the River Sea - Eva Ibbotson Journey to the River Sea is just the kind of book I loved reading as a child. It is set in the late 19th century (I've always enjoyed those books more than the ones set in more recent times) and is an adventure story with strong female characters and intelligent kids.
Maia has lost both her parents in an accident. She lives in a boarding school in London until her guardian finds distant relatives who are willing to let her live with them. Maia is very excited to have a new family again with twins her age and especially because the family, the Carters, is living in Brazil, on the Amazon river (also called the river sea). Sent to Brazil with her is Miss Minton, who will work as governess for the twins and Maia. Miss Minton appears to be very strict at first sight but soon turns into Maia's friend, especially when the family turns out to be quite different from what Maia imagined it to be: the Carters only want Maia's money and aren't interested in her otherwise. They also don't enjoy living on the Amazon and believe all the Indians to be savages. Maia on the other hand makes friends with the native people and soon experiences many adventures...
The story is told in a very suspenseful from several different perspectives. Of course many things are foreseeable but that doesn't make the story any less lovely. Journey to River Sea is a quick read I would recommend to everyone.