ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

A Visit From The Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan This book is really really good. The style is kind of experimental: the book consists of 13 chapters that could be read as individual short stories but which in fact form one novel. Each of the stories is told from a different character's perspective. The stories often aren't told chronologically and so it sometimes takes a while until you know what is going on now and can place the story in the whole context. But this is done in an absolutely superb way which totally amazes me.
I was very sceptical when I started reading this book. I had heard a bit about the interconnection before. Earlier this year I had read Cloud Atlas which had received so much praise for the interconnections and which just completely disappointed me. So my expectations weren't very high for A Visit from the Goon Squad. But I was absolutely surprised at how good it was. The interconnections are just what I expected Cloud Atlas to be. And I had never imagined that a chapter written as a PowerPoint presentation would be one of a book's highlights!