ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Wovon wir träumten - 'Julie Otsuka',  'Katja Scholtz (Übers.)' The way The Buddha in the Attic was written really appealed to me: it tells the story of Japanese women coming to the United States in the 1930s/40s. It soon turns out that they were deceived: the men they are supposed to marry aren't what the women were made to believe. Because of the Japanese pride and the fear of shame the women cannot go back however.
The story is told from a general point of few. The sentences are like this: One of us is married to a good man. Some of us are beaten by their husbands. Naomi finds a soulmate in her husband.
I really enjoyed this. It made the story kind of unique, even though the women's destinies weren't.
I probably would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I hadn't read it within a week of reading Julie Otsuka's other book, When the emperor was divine. The penultimate chapter deals with the same topic as the Emperor, the removal of the Japanese residents to prisoners' camps. So lots of things felt a little repetitive, even though the final chapter showed a new perspective.