ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Solange Du lügst - Sarah Waters, Stefanie Retterbush Fingersmith reminded me a lot of the works of Charles Dickens (especially Oliver Twist which is also mentioned in the book) and Wilkie Collins (especially The Woman in White). The setting and the whole atmosphere were described very lively and were the perfect background for the story.

I really enjoyed reading Fingersmith. There were just some minor things which made me only rate it four stars: During the whole story I never knew whether I should fell with Susan or with Maud or with both of them or with none of them. Their motives were all very logic but somehow I never could fully associate with them. I also wasn't touched or moved by their love story.
My final problem was with Maud's work. I found the whole thing very odd, especially her uncle's behaviour. It's obvious that the author wanted to show the hypocracy of the Victorian time with this. But to me it seemed that the story would still have been very good - maybe even better - without this part. It often seemed to be a bit farfetched.