ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Ein seltsamer Ort zum Sterben - Derek B. Miller

Most reviews I had read before starting this book were kind of negative. I thought this was because the book was often described as a "literary thriller" and that it probably didn't have enough crime/thriller elements for many people. As I really enjoy literary thrillers I decided to give it a chance. There also seemed to be similar structures with The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson which I enjoyed very much. Now I have to admit that my assumptions were wrong.
Norwegian by Night isn't the typical thriller. The crime elements only play a minor. There are also some parts which could be called literary. But I often didn't get the author's point. For example I didn't understand why it should be important that the old man is Jewish. In my opinion the end also was unnecessarily brutal.
The book was a quick read with some enjoyable parts. But it really isn't something I'd widely recommend.