ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Slade House by David Mitchell

Slade House: A Novel - David Mitchell

Reviewing this book without giving away too much of its content is difficult. Let's call it a haunted house story even though it is not quite that. The novel consists of five different stories. In each of them another character is lured into Slade House which always appears in a quite different light. Nothing good will come to the characters but you'll have to find out for yourselves what is happening.

Slade House is a quick read and I really enjoyed the suspenseful writing. It never got boring even though the basic story of each chapter is the same. In fact I was always quite excited if the characters were able to escape. I first thought that the outcome would be quite predictable but I was still surprised at the twists and turns.

Slade House is a sidekick of The Bone Clocks which I haven't read (so far). I didn't know that before starting to read Slade House. I think the two can be read independently, but maybe I would have understood the final chapter I bit better if I had read The Bone Clocks first. On the other hand I hope that Slade House doesn't give away too much of the story told in The Bone Clocks.

If you are looking for a good scary read for a foggy autumn night Slade House is a really good option.

(I received a free digital copy via Netgalley/Random House. Thanks for the opportunity!)