ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel - Anthony Doerr

All the Light We Cannot See is a rare gem among WWII novels - and not only because a gem plays an important role. What makes the book so special is that it is so positive even though a lot of harm comes to most characters and not all storylines come to an happy end.

The book tells the story of two protagonists, Marie-Laure a blind French girl whose father built her a model of the surrounding neighbourhood so she can find her way around, and Werner a German orphan who studies at a Napola mainly to be able to later study with the famous scientists. The fate of these two is linked and they play a very important role in each others life even though they only meet for a few short hours.

Anthony Doerr uses a very beautiful language and often quite detailed descriptions which never seem too long or boring. The novel appears to be very well researched. The short chapters make it a very quickpaced read even though the time period narrated is quite long. The novels is quite suspenceful and I was hooked from the first page. Definitely a worthy winner of the Pulitzer!

(I received a free digital copy via Netgalley/the publisher. Thanks for the opportunity!)