ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy by Elizabeth George

The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy (Bibliomysteries) - Elizabeth George

I've been a fan of Elizabeth George's mystery novels for several years and consequently I was excited about this new story. The title and the series's name "Bibliomystery" made me expect a crime novella. It turned out that I was mistaken. After the first few pages I thought I wouldn't like the story too much because of that and also because it is set on Whidbey Island and has a (however small) supernatural element like Elizabeth George's YA series (which I don't appreciate that much). But I soon began to enjoy the story. It is written in a beautiful way with lots of allusions to other literary works. It reminded me a bit of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books, just without so much humour.
It made me think which story I would like to live. I have to admit that this was pretty difficult for me. I like novels full of suspense, but living through one probably wouldn't be my kind of thing. I also enjoy classics but I don't want to miss most of the modern comforts. Chick-lit and romance can get very dull after some time. So what is left? Feel free to comment and tell me which story you would pick. I'm very curious!

(I received a free digital copy via Netgalley/the publisher. Thanks for the opportunity!)