ellinor

Ellinor's Litventures

This blog is about my literary adventures in different genres. I like variety in my reading and will read books from most genres but particulary book with some literary merit.

Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King

Dreaming Spies - Laurie R. King

This was the first book in the Mary Russell series for me. I had heard positive things about it and so I decided to give it a try. Starting a series with one of the later volumes often isn't easy and I have to admit I was a bit confused after the first few pages. But that soon passed and I starting enjoying this novel immensely.
The first thing I have to mention is the language. I really loved it and was so glad to finally read a crime novel written in beautiful words. I clearly wasn't expecting this especially because the series would fall slightly in the cozy mystery category and those books often aren't renowned for their superior language.
The second thing I really liked were the lectures on Japan. I was familiar with some of them but definitely learned a lot of new and interesting facts. And I really started loving the Haikus - once I knew what they were. They are heading every chapter and I first thought them very weird. I could tell that they were a summary of what was to happen in the chapter but I didn't really appreciate them until I had learned more about them. My respects to the author for the work she put into them!
I also liked the whole crime story, especially that everything was so clear. I often could tell before Russell and Holmes what was happening. I'm never sure whether this is acutually a good sign or a bad one. On the one hand when this situation occurs I always wonder how the detectives can be that stupid. On the other hand it means that the mystery is very well structured and written. I like complicated mysteries but I also have to have the feeling that things aren't too far-fetched.
The book was a very pleasant experience and I'm now looking forward to reading some of the other books in the series.

(I receievd a free digital copy via Netgally/the publisher. Thanks for the opportunity!)